Best WiFi Thermostat Reviews
Homeowners and renters face the same, money draining challenge together which is how to save money? Surely in age where appliances and everything down to the smallest mobile device in your home all have one thing in common – they will drive up your electricity costs. However, one of the best ways that one can save money is looking into investing in the best WiFi thermostat to control the efficiency if your heating and cooling unit.
Gone are the days of carefully managing your heating and cooling usage just to save a few bucks while your home fluctuates wildly between hot, cold, and just right. In fact, turning up, down, and on/off manually can actually cost you more money in the long run due to inconsistent temperatures and the extra work required by your hvac system to reach your desired temps. In fact, you don’t even have to get up off your chair or bed as you may have noticed the increasing presence of “smart thermostats” which are either controlled by remote and most often prefered via wireless or WiFi connection to your mobile phone or tablet.
Sleeping at night improves greatly when you are comfortable in warm or cold areas. These manifestations speak of how important electricity has become in everyone’s lives and it would be hard to survive without it. Wouldn’t you agree that one of your highest expenses comes from electricity bills? Monthly, a single average family consumes around 911 kWh and spends around $114, that totals to $1368 annually.
Saving money and controlling your energy consumption with your heating and cooling system is one of the steps you can take.
How to choose the Best Wi-Fi Thermostat
There are many considerations you should first check before rushing to the stores to buy your new Wi-Fi thermostat. You can at least breathe for a moment, take a pause and think. While you are thinking, a few simple steps like making yourself aware of what to do and how to do the following mentioned below might help you in choosing the best thermostat.
Identify your heating or cooling system at home:
In order for you not to end up buying an incorrect thermostat for your home, you should check if you are using the following listed below. Know that there are types of thermostat that are not compatible with the heating or cooling system you might be using. You might realize you are still using the old versions and consider upgrading. If you are not sure, you can visit the net for compatibility checks or seek professional help.
- Central Heating or Central Heating and Air
- Heat Pump
- Electric Baseboard
Choose your thermostat type:
There are indeed different types of thermostat such programmable, digital or non-programmable, outlet thermostats and wireless or Wi-Fi Thermostats. We are talking about the latter here, which is the Wi-Fi thermostat. This one is also known as the smart thermostat and is as smart as it is being implied.
This one is a multifunctional thermostat that allows you take control over your temperature settings remotely, check on weather updates and has a lot more features. There are Wi-Fi thermostats that are programmable, which function when set and those that no longer need your help in the programming.
Choose the best brand of Wi-Fi thermostat:
When choosing the best brand of thermostat, you should always check with what kind of features it has, what style it should be, how much it costs and how much you will save when you use it. You can always read reviews and check on product comparisons for a better understanding.
What to look into a good WiFi thermostat
Looking for a quality product such as a Wi-Fi thermostat is a never-ending quest. Why? There are such thermostats that seem to have the best features, yet do not fit your budget and lifestyle. There might be cheaper units yet these are not good quality.
Good, working Wi-Fi or programmable thermostats vis-à-vis its features and other considerations should be kept in mind before purchasing. Remember that all thermostats share one common feature, which are temperature settings. Here are some of the considerations you should not miss.
One of the main reasons you will buy your new thermostat, aside from replacement, perhaps, is to save energy. When you save energy, you also save money.
You deserve to have the best working features with every penny you spent in buying your thermostat. Aside from the common temperature setting features, check on the additional features you can take advantage of.
Ease of use and installation
No matter how pleasing the features may sound, it does not guarantee you ease of using them. Another thing is the installation process and how difficult this may be.
Price does not just mean paying for what an item costs but it also speaks of how much quality it has to offer. You must know that price varies from product to product or brand to brand. Feel free to check on reviews and product comparisons, which you will later find out as you read through.
The Honeywell RTH9580WF WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat is available as a 2-pack item or as a single item. You also have the option of including installation costs when purchasing it. Of course, the installation fee would be based on your zip code so the fee is not standard.
This product is of premium quality and as such, the price is set in accordance. You can get remote access to the thermostat through your computer, tablet or even your smart phone. The screen color is customizable to match your home’s décor and it can be controlled from anywhere via iOS or an Android OS.
The set-up is fairly simple and there are programmable features for your home or business. The touch screen has a lock feature with password options, providing smart and convenient security for your property.
- Control from anywhere with your iOS and Android devices
- The setup is simple with smart programmable features for your home or business
- Customizable color touch screen is easy to read
- Smart response temperature timing
- Indoor humidity sensor and advanced fan/comfort control
- Compatible with thermostats that have at least 110V and systems with a c-wire
- Intelligent alerts as well as filter change reminder
- Auto-change from heating to cooling depending on the temperature
- Energy-saving mode to save on heating and cooling costs
- Indoor humidity displayed below temperature on touch screen
- Advanced locking features and password options
- Weighs 8 ounces
- Color: silver
- Digital display style
- Dimensions 8.5 x 0.8 x 3.2 inches
- You can control the thermostat anywhere you go using iOS or Android software.
- The screen can be customized to your liking.
- The thermostat can assist with saving you money for heating or cooling your property.
- The locking features provide options for your password so you can have more security on your thermostat.
- No batteries are required for the thermostat to function and there is no monthly service fee so there is no additional cost once installed.
- Intelligent alerts will help you to remember when to change things such as filters.
- Not compatible with all heating or cooling systems so you have to ensure you have a c-wire before purchase.
This thermostat is very easy to use and can be very advantageous to those people who want to control the temperature of their homes or businesses without being there physically. With premium features that are extremely practical and functional, this would certainly be a very worthwhile purchase.
Available in white with the option of including installation, this Honeywell product is sold singly or up to 3 devices at once. Honeywell has been in existence for over 12 years and are known for quality products and this thermostat follows suit.
The Honeywell RTH6580 Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat can be used with single or multi-stage systems. The display has a backlight so that it can be read easily and the display is digital.
The system can be accessed from anywhere via WiFi and has 7 fully programmable days with morning, daytime, evening and night as programmable periods. The thermostat is easy to install and comes with a 1 year limited warranty. It weighs 1.2 pounds and measures 5.8 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches.
- Can be used with single or multi-stage systems
- 7 programmable days with 4 daily periods
- Easy remote access from anywhere because of its WiFi capabilities
- Digital display with backlight feature for easy reading
- Weighs 1.2 pounds
- Dimensions: 5.8 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches
- You can control the temperature without being anywhere close to the building
- You can control the temperature for 7 days at a time
- The pre-set temperatures that you select for 1 day can vary for 4 periods of the day
- The digital display has a backlight so it can be used in low light.
- It is easy to install and comes with 1 year warranty included
- If there is an issue with the Wi-Fi, the thermostat will not be programmable
This thermostat is a really great product, allowing use with a single or multi-stage systems. You can therefore have very good control of your temperature settings, even when you are away from the room. The price also makes the item very desirable as it is reasonably-priced and offers a lot of practical features.
With the ability to include installation for this product, the Lux Products TX9600TS Universal 7-Day Programmable Touch Screen Thermostat has universal compatibility for all system types. The touch screen display is quite huge in comparison to other brands of thermostats and contains lighting so it is easy to read.
You have the option of selecting the temperature for 2-4 periods of the day and there is a lockout for unauthorized users so your temperature settings will be unaltered by them. There is also the ability to monitor the energy usage and life timer for the air filter. The touch screen menu is easy to use and program.
There is also an adjustable vacation hold that can be set from 1 – 30 days and a smart recovery that allows the set temperature to be reached by the time that was programmed.
- Universal compatibility with all types of systems
- Programmable for up to 7 days
- Large touch screen display is easy to read and has a backlight for easy viewing
- Temperature can be adjusted for 2 – 4 periods of the day
- Touch screen menu is easy to operate
- Lock out touch screen protection for users that are not authorized
- Temperature can be overridden temporarily
- Programmable life timer for air filter
- Smart recovery that allows the set temperature to be reached by the time that was programmed
- Can be operated manually – temporary hold
- The temperature on the thermostat can be controlled from a far distance through Wi-Fi
- The touch screen display is very large so things can be viewed very easily
- The thermostat is easy to use
- The thermostat can be programmed so unauthorized people cannot adjust the temperature settings
- You can track the energy usage using the energy usage monitor
- Although it has universal compatibility, it is only compatible with most but not all heating and cooling systems
If you are looking for a thermostat that has compatibility with most heating and cooling systems, the Lux Products TX9600TS is worth trying. With many great features offered at a reasonable price, it is definitely worthwhile to consider investing in this device. Remember that it offers the great feature of locking the thermostat so that only authorized people can adjust the temperature setting.
The Schneider Electric Wiser Air Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Comfort Boost is sold in two colours – black and white. It is a very sleek device which is very simple to install and use. Although it is not sold with the option to install, an electrician can be recommended to perform the installation of the device for you.
The modes on the thermostat are color coded so that you can easily identify the mode from a distance, based on the color on the thermostat. The device can easily be controlled from anywhere using a cell phone, tablet or laptop using a Wi-Fi connection.
There is also the option of monitoring energy usage so you can reduce your energy bills while heating or cooling your home. The device receives automatic updates and upgrades as Wiser updates its products so there is no need to purchase a newer version of the thermostat. This is an awesome feature and will eliminate the need for more expenditure once the unit is installed.
The intensity of the backlight on the touch screen can be turned up, down or off and the device only weighs 1.6 pounds.
- Comfort boost so you can use energy more efficiently
- Different colors for different modes
- Touch screen display with backlight for easy viewing
- Control room temperature using Wi-Fi from anywhere
- Weighs 1.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 0.9 x 4 x 4 inches
- Available in black or white
- Sensors that activate the thermostat in interaction mode when you are nearby
- Interface can be customized to your liking
- The thermostat can be controlled from any smart phone, tablet or laptop using Wi-Fi
- The device is easy to install and use.
- The screen can be customized based on your preferences
- You can control your energy usage to reduce heating and cooling costs
- If a Wi-Fi connection is not available, the thermostat cannot be controlled from afar
- The thermostat does not display humidity so you won’t be able to know the humidity of the room
For a premium product at a premium price, this thermostat offers a variety of features that are quite eye-catching. This is a simple, easy-to-use digital thermostat that you can control from virtually anywhere. You do not need to be very tech savvy to use this device so it is definitely worth buying.
The 2gig CT100 Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat is available in white as well as off-white. Both colors are similarly-priced and you may include installation with your purchase. This thermostat has an ultra slim form factor and a 2 year battery life. The display is very bright and the touch screen is very easy to use.
The thermostat weighs 12.8 ounces and measures 8 x 6 x 1 inches. You are able to program the temperature for up to 7 days at a time and there is a 4 stage heat feature. Because the unit is powered by AA batteries, the battery life may vary based on the type of batteries that you use in the thermostat.
- Touch screen with a very bright display
- Available in white and off-white
- Ultra slim form factor
- 2 year battery life depending on the batteries used
- 4 stage heat
- Weighs 12.8 ounces
- Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 1 inches
- The thermostat is powered by batteries so if there is a power outage it will still be functional
- The display screen is very bright so it can be viewed easily in low lighting
- Because batteries will have to be replaced as old ones are done, there is an expense to keep the thermostat functional.
The 2gig CT100 Z-Wave Programmable Thermostat is very inexpensive and offers functions that are available in products that are much more costly. It is definitely worth exploring this product as an option for a thermostat in your home.